Photography provided by Alexis Brown
It is not the strongest of the species that survive,
nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
— Charles Darwin: English naturalist and geologist
You may be here because you are worried or feel overwhelmed
I get it. Sometimes families don't always interact the way we hope for. On one had you feel this enormous responsibility to raise them to be self-sufficient, confident, adults who know exactly what they are going to do. And on the other hand it can feel like there are complete strangers in your house.
I worry about my kids too and yet, feel the best thing we can do, now that they are teenagers, is to give up most of that responsibility for their behavior!
The problem is most kids have Artificial Maturity - they think they have it all handled so they don't want people telling them what to do. Then at a flip of the dime they are completely helpless and can't figure out why something did or did not happen. This flip-flop is normal because they are transitioning to adulthood.
This is where family history can get in the way. My husband and I saw this happening in our own family.
Just know, a Coach, is a trusted adult who will:
- not give advice or judge but ask questions
- validate feelings without agreeing
- help them understand how values work
- hold them accountable to their choices
- encourage 360º views
- be a trusted confidant, supporting their decisions
That last one can be hard when we don't agree, but is one of the key factors in self-esteem / confidence and exactly why we go through all the other points.
This is NOT: College planning - Organizational or Academic coaching
This is: Personal Development Life Coaching
How it Works
ALL Coaching with teenagers being with the Energy Leadership Assessment. The energy it talks about is your general energy for life in a normal and stressful day. The leadership is your ability to consciously make choices throughout your day. Together they act like a mirror creating an attitudinal assessment.
The information you get back is eye opening, but our conversation around the findings are what brings things into focus.
Personal LEadership Development
Life as a teenager is more stressful and overwhelming than anyone expects. There is so much to "handle" Teens lose sight of who they are when peer, school and (yes) parental pressure comes into play. At times, it's hard to breathe. So we are going to start a little slow. Teens get to learn about themselves from the assessment as well as other tools. Then we put what was learned into action, testing and tweaking until everything clicks.
(I'm not going to lie, I know they have a lot going on in their heads and this is "one more thing" which is why as long as they are committed I am flexible. I want to see them succeed)
How does this help:
- Learn what triggers Action or In-action.
- Gut check - What is important to you
- Handle social pressures
- Learning to become brave in the face of the unknown
- Coaching over the phone teaches the skill of Communication, listening as much as speaking
- Better understanding of Relationships - family, friends and the rest of the world
- Learn what your gut is telling you
- Problem Solving - Perspective, conflict management
- Time Management - Often it's our personal issues holding us back
- Wellness - Mentally and physically
- You create your Personal GPS
WHAT YOU GET:
- Energy Leadership Assessment (20 minutes online) + Coaching Session Debrief (an hour, maybe a little more)
- Weekly Coaching sessions
- Weekly emails regarding areas discussed - These are meant for reflection, reminders and any addition things to work on (Child has veto power of what goes in)
- Unlimited texting and emails - communication is important
All coaching is done over-the-phone sessions work just as well as in person. Trust me, whether we are in-person or over a phone there is always a few sessions of comfort and trust building.
Customizable programs for
Schools and groups
Please contact us at Focused Direction