Photography provided by Alexis Brown
It is not the strongest of the species that survive,
nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
— Charles Darwin: English naturalist and geologist
You are here because you are worried for your child.
I get it. You feel this enormous responsibility to raise them to be self-sufficient, confident, adults who know exactly what they are going to do with their lives and if they don't you have no fear because they know how to survive.
I worry about my kids too and yet feel the best thing we can do, now that they are teenagers, is to give up most of that responsibility!
The problem is most kids have Artificial Maturity - they think they have it all handled so they don't want people telling them what to do. Then at a flip of the dime they are completely helpless and can't figure out why something did or did not happen. This flip-flop is normal because they are transitioning to adulthood.
This is where family history can hinder their growth. My husband and I saw this happening in our own family.
Just know, a Coach is a trusted adult who will
- not give advice or judge but ask questions
- validate feelings without agreeing
- help them develop their own values to live by
- hold them accountable to their choices
- encourage 360º views
- be a trusted confidant, supporting their decisions
That last one can be hard when we don't agree, but is one of the key factors in self-esteem / confidence and exactly why we go through all the other points.
This is NOT: College planning - Organizational or Academic coaching
This is: Personal Development Life Coaching
ALL Coaching with teenagers being with the Energy Leadership Assessment. The energy it talks about is your general energy for life in a normal and stressful day. The leadership is your ability to consciously make choices throughout your day. Together they act like a mirror creating an attitudinal assessment.
The information you get back is eye opening, but our conversation around the findings are what brings things into focus.
Stop Handling and Start Living
Life as a teenager is more stressful and overwhelming than anyone expects. There is so much to "handle" Teens lose sight of who they are when peer, school and (yes) parental pressure comes into play. At times, it's hard to breathe. So we are going to start a little slow. Teens get to learn about themselves from the assessment as well as other tools. Then we put what was learned into action, testing and tweaking until everything clicks.
(I'm not going to lie, I know they have a lot going on in their heads and this is "one more thing" which is why as long as they are committed I am flexible. I want to see them succeed)
Personal LEadership Development
After the 13 session of Stop Handling and Start Living program, Teens are clearly on board and know it's only going to get better. This is an important step because the more confident we are the healthier choices we make. Teens will come away understanding themselves, their needs, and where they want to go (I call this your personal GPS). This is a program every Junior and Senior should take before graduating.
How does this help:
- Learn what triggers Action or In-action.
- Gut check - What is important to you
- Handle social pressures
- Learning to become brave in the face of the unknown
- Coaching over the phone teaches the skill of Communication, listening as much as speaking
- Better understanding of Relationships - family, friends and the rest of the world
- Learn what your gut is telling you
- Problem Solving - Perspective, conflict management
- Time Management - Often it's our personal issues holding us back
- Wellness - Mentally and physically
- You create your Personal GPS
WHAT YOU GET:
- Energy Leadership Assessment (20 minutes online) + Coaching Session Debrief (an hour, maybe a little more)
- Weekly Coaching sessions these vary in time either 30 or 60 min (case by case basis)
- Weekly accounts of areas discussed - These are meant for reflection, reminders and any addition things to work on (Child has veto power of what goes in)
- Unlimited texting and emails - communication is important
All coaching is done over-the-phone sessions work just as well as in person. Trust me, whether we are in-person or over a phone there is always a few sessions of comfort and trust building.
Customizable programs for
Schools and groups
Please contact us at Focused Direction